Michigan’s Progressive Women’s Caucus cheers protections for Planned Parenthood funding
Last week, members of Michigan’s Progressive Women’s Caucus celebrated a federal court decision blocking the Trump administration’s effort to defund Planned Parenthood.
Republicans’ “big, beautiful bill” which was signed into law on July 4, put in place a one-year ban on Medicaid payments to health care providers who offer abortion care and received more than $800,000 in Medicaid reimbursements in 2023.
Planned Parenthood, which offers sexual and reproductive health care at nearly 600 health centers across the county, argued the policy was part of a yearslong plan to shut down the nonprofit, with the bill threatening to close 200 health centers across 24 states.
U.S. District Judge Indira Talwani’s July 28 order requires the government to continue reimbursing these facilities through Medicaid.
“Planned Parenthood provides thousands with necessary reproductive care and family planning services. The Trump administration’s move to withhold Medicaid funding puts necessary health care at risk. I am glad that the courts have thus far upheld this funding, but I am nonetheless concerned about future cuts to both Planned Parenthood and Medicaid. We must remain diligent,” state Rep. Laurie Pohustky (D-Livonia), the caucus’s chair, said in a statement on Wednesday.
Pohutsky pointed to additional Medicaid cuts in Republicans’ tax and spending bill, warning that millions will be removed from coverage. According to the nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office, 10 million uninsured individuals are expected to lose Medicaid coverage over the next decade.
“Planned Parenthood health centers are necessary for many across our state, and it is absolutely essential that patients who use Medicaid still have access to contraception, STI and cancer screenings and all the reproductive care they need and deserve,” Pohutsky said.
23 states – including Michigan – and the District of Columbia filed a lawsuit against the Trump Administration late last month over the One Big Beautiful Bill Act’s provision to defund health centers like Planned Parenthood.
“Planned Parenthood clinics are a critical part of Michigan’s healthcare system, delivering vital services to communities across the state,” Michigan Attorney General Dana Nessel said in a statement. “The Trump Administration’s push to strip funding from these providers is an unlawful political tactic aimed at undermining care, even in states like Michigan, where the right to reproductive freedom is protected by our constitution. I remain committed to standing up for Michiganders’ ability to access the healthcare they need from the providers they trust.”