Salt Lake City Council drops misconduct investigation against Lopez Chavez after her expulsion
The Salt Lake City Council dropped its investigation of sexual misconduct allegations against former council member Eva Lopez Chavez on Tuesday, a vote that follows Lopez Chavez’s immediate expulsion from the council for failing to comply with residency requirements for elected officials.
Lopez Chavez seems, however, to be disappointed with the change of direction. She has denied wrongdoing after multiple people accused her of restraining them in what they described to be unwanted sexual advances, according to The Salt Lake Tribune.
“I welcomed an independent investigation because there is no wrongdoing and was prepared to have the facts examined openly and fairly,” Lopez Chavez said in a social media post. “More importantly, the public deserves the utmost transparency with matters of all their elected leaders.”
Council members voted unanimously to shift the focus of the workgroup that was established to investigate the allegations against Lopez Chavez. The committee will now conduct a broader review of the city’s existing code of conduct.
“While the original intent to investigate was in response to serious allegations, using council resources to retain an independent investigator is no longer an appropriate role for the council,” council member Erika Carlsen said while reading a prepared statement during the council’s formal meeting Tuesday.
A week earlier Lopez Chavez was ousted from her office after a city investigation determined she did not live within the District 4 boundaries, a requirement to represent the area according to city and state law.
Lopez Chavez had already been suspended from some essential council duties as three other council members investigated the sexual misconduct allegations that emerged during her unsuccessful run for Utah’s 1st Congressional District seat. The group planned to retain an independent investigator to determine whether Lopez Chavez had violated the city’s code of conduct.
However, for Lopez Chavez, the issue isn’t over with the city council vote. Instead, she has vowed to appeal the results of the city’s investigation of her place of residence.
“I will continue to strongly dispute this interpretation and will pursue all available remedies to protect our City,” Lopez Chavez said in the post. “Voters should elect their representatives, not allow for political appointments to happen at their expense.”
The residence investigation results became public on May 12, starting a 30-day clock for the council to select an interim replacement for the District 4 seat.