Attorney General Dave Yost is on his way out of Ohio politics. Here’s what he has to say about it.
Attorney General Dave Yost’s surprise decision to resign from public office shook the Ohio political world. On Wednesday, he spoke about his decision for the first time — addressing his next steps, while also giving a sharp message to his opponents.
With only a few more weeks on the job, Yost sat down with WEWS for a 20-minute interview.
Throughout the years, Yost has made headlines, but his most recent was his resigning months before the end of his term.
When asked why he decided to leave now, he said he “got an unexpected offer that I literally couldn’t refuse.”
He is joining the conservative and Christian nonprofit law firm Alliance Defending Freedom as the firm’s new vice president of Strategic Research and Innovation.
“They’ve prevailed at the United States Supreme Court 18 times in the last 15 years, so the opportunity to go work with them is just exciting,” he said.
“You couldn’t have waited eight months?” he was asked.
“Well, part of the job is going to be standing up some new functions internally and I, candidly, didn’t want to have other people doing that and showing up to find out how it had been done,” Yost replied. “It was time, it was just time.”
One of the aspects of the job that Yost is most proud of is his efforts in fighting public corruption, including the FirstEnergy House Bill 6 bribery scheme. His latest case against the utility company’s former executives ended in a 10-2 hung jury.
He said he’s confident that the Ohio Attorney General’s Office will be able to obtain convictions in the case without him. Because the jury was so heavily leaning towards guilty, Yost feels certain the prosecution will succeed.
“We’ve got a fresh team coming on board with fresh eyes. We will take the excellent work that was done by the first team. We will refine that,” Yost said. “We will simplify some of the narrative to make it a little more accessible, and I am very confident that this case is just, and that it will result in conviction.”
Ongoing cases
Yost said he’s “disappointed to be leaving a whole bunch of things, but that’s the nature.”
“There will always be things that you don’t get to finish if you’re a decent public official,” he said. “If all you do is the things that you can finish while you’re there and take credit for — you’re a pretty lousy public official.”
While wishing he could have prosecuted the FirstEnergy trial, he is proud to have gotten his way on the retired teachers’ pension fund case.
“You’ve dug deep,” he said, referencing WEWS’ years of work exposing the corruption scheme inside the more than $100 billion pension fund.
Franklin County Court of Common Pleas Judge Karen Held Phipps decided that State Teachers Retirement System (STRS) board chair Rudy Fichtenbaum should be immediately removed from his position. He and former board member Wade Steen, whose attorney called him a ‘hero’ to retirees, will never be allowed to be on the board again, the decision states.
Follow WEWS statehouse reporter Morgan Trau on X and Facebook.
This article was originally published on News5Cleveland.com and is published in the Ohio Capital Journal under a content-sharing agreement. Unlike other OCJ articles, it is not available for free republication by other news outlets as it is owned by WEWS in Cleveland.