Federal government approves condensed timeline for overseas ballots in SC primary
COLUMBIA — South Carolina can go ahead with a condensed timeline to get ballots to overseas voters for the upcoming special U.S. Senate primary, the federal Department of Justice said.
An agreement the agencies signed Monday resolves a conflict between state and federal law over the election’s timing.
Under South Carolina law, the special primary to elect a GOP nominee to replace Sen. Lindsey Graham, who died unexpectedly July 11 after winning the June primary, must take place Aug. 11.
But that didn’t leave enough time to fulfill a federal requirement that overseas voters, including members of the military, have 45 days to request and send in a ballot, either physically or online.
The federal agency, which is responsible for enforcing election laws, agreed not to sue the state for failing to allow the 45-day window.
By Friday, election officials must reach out to everyone who requested a mailed Republican ballot for the June 9 statewide primary election or June 23 runoff to ask if they’d like to participate again.
Anyone who voted in the Democratic primary can’t vote for the Republican nominee, the Election Commission has decided.
Officials will have until Aug. 1 to send out requested ballots, according to the agreement.
The state and federal agencies agreed the deadlines “will provide sufficient time” for overseas voters to receive and fill out their ballots.
Ballots must be sent back by 7 p.m. Aug. 11, which is election day. If a runoff is necessary, votes for that must be cast by 7 p.m. Aug. 25.
All but 48 of the 1,051 overseas voters participating in the June primary did so online, the elections agency said previously.
Voters will likely have a crowded slate of candidates to choose from in South Carolina’s first open U.S. Senate race in 22 years. Filing officially opens Tuesday, but five candidates had announced by Monday they intended to run.
Early voting begins Aug. 5.